Saturday, July 14, 2007

IN CAIRO JULY 8-11

Was in Cairo July 8-11, 2007. Wasn't really looking forward to the trip. Had to make it though since I needed the training from colleagues based in our Cairo office (which is actually the regional headquarters; it used to be that our regional HQ was in Abu Dhabi).

Been to Cairo in 1996, for CairoTelecomp - a telecom exhibition that then-Lucent participated in, in a big way. My boss, who was with me on the trip, made sure, I at least went to the pyramids in Giza and to the Cairo Museum. My guide also took me to the famous market (the name of which escapes me at the moment).


Even if I did not look forward to the trip, I must admit to a few pleasant surprises:
1. I liked the food served at the hotel's main resto and also at the regional headquarters' canteen. Loved the rice and the humus with eggplants.
2. Our colleagues at the regional HQ were nice.
3. The regional HQ also looked nice and modern.
4. The sun set after 8 pm in Cairo so the days were quite longer.
5. My co-trainees and I bonded quite a bit during our training days.

I still didn't like:
1. The pollution.
2. The traffic.
3. The dirt on the streets.
4. The 3rd world ambience.

Got me some photos; hope you like:


The pyramids are visible from the road just infront of the hotel I stayed in (Hotel Sofitel Le Sphinx) in the Giza district.


I took this shot of the three pyramids from atop one of the restos of the hotel.


My hotel room also had a view of at least one of the pyramids. What was nice about the room as well was it opened to the green courtyard which was quite refreshing.



Me at the hotel lobby.





Me at the regional headquarters:
outside, at the reception, and at the Alcatel-Lucent University wing.