Saturday, July 14, 2007

CAIRO STORIES

Here are my Cairo stories:

ONE
I never did venture out of the hotel and environs that much. Was kind of wary going to the city center on my own since I would have to deal with taxi drivers and vendors who I know will try to make a killing out of tourist me. So I was content to walk around the shops at the hotel and at the nearby Meridien hotel for my souvenir shopping. It took me two trips to the Meridien to finally decide I wanted to buy Egyptian-inspired pendants. I eyed a gold key of life for my Bebe.

On my first visit, I thought I would try to get a handle on the price range and asked about the Nefertiti pendant. I was told I could buy it for about 250 Egyptian pounds or so (or roughly 55 US dollars). TRIVIA: Stores would accept Egyptian pounds, US dollars or Euros. They will also accept Saudi riyals if the situation warrants. I thought it was not a bad deal. On my second visit, I finally asked about the key of life pendant. I was told I could buy it for 100 US dollars. Thinking the pendant looked lighter than the Nefertiti, I tried to haggle so I will only pay about the same as if I was buying the Nefertiti. I only wished to pay the equivalent of 200 Saudi riyals. The seller would have none of my wish and told me that if I can't afford it, I should just not buy it. So I decided I wouldn't, primarily because of the way he treated me. To add insult to my injured buyer's pride, he even derisively repeated the words, "two hundred riyals, huh," loud enough for me to hear it.

I let it pass and just moved on to another shop, where the vendor was pleasant and even though it meant, I had to buy pendants in silver. I ended up buying four and spending more than a hundred dollars for them! I thought I should parade infront of the gold pendant store and gloat but decided against it.

I told the silver pendant seller about the rudeness of the gold pendant seller. He told me that he hopes I don't think all Egyptians are like the gold pendant seller. He said that just like anywhere else in the world, there are many kinds of people - people who are educated and not educated. And there are the less-educated among the educated. Surprisingly, he apologized to me on behalf of the gold pendant seller. I told him it was nice of him to do that and thanked him.

TWO
On the way from the airport to the hotel (and back), we travelled along the ring road and passed by miles and miles of highways with unfinished brick buildings on each side.


We tried to ask around why the buildings are unfinished even if some units have residents/ tenants, but we never did find out. It was intriguing to say the least.

THREE

There were a lot of box-type cars on the streets. On closer look, they turned out to be Lada cars, and of Russian origin. The cars certainly added a lot to the 3rd world ambience of the city.

FOUR
On my second day at the hotel, the hotel decided it will work on its atrium. Workers had the area stripped to the wooden flooring, taking out the cushions and other seats that were there before, and started to polish the wood with grinding machines so noisy. The exercise left a lot of places near the atrium covered in white fine dust. It was quite difficult to breathe.

As I stood on a balcony overlooking the atrium, another hotel guest (who was obviously a Scot or an Irish by the way he talked), fell into conversation with me regarding the renovations. I asked quite rhetorically why the renovations were taking place at that time. He in turn also asked why the workers never bothered to at least cover the area with plastic sheets to trap the fine dust. We both shrugged at questions we did not have answers to. But just when he was about to turn and leave me, he said, "They're Egyptians after all!" Whoa!

FIVE
On my departure, I lounged around the departure area (with WiFi spots, the usual duty-free shops and some really spunking new eating places). Had to pee and went to the nearest toilet. A young Egyptian was cleaning it when I got inside. When I was done and was just washing my hands, he engaged me in small talk, starting with the Japanese greeting, Kunichiwa. Told him I was Filipino and that I was not a tourist but in Cairo for training. After a few more silly exchanges, he handed me wads and wads of toilet paper which I gratefully accepted. Then he asked me, "No money?" I had to chuckle at that and told him that I no longer have Egyptian pounds with me.



The ubiquitous McDo and Starbucks, and two other outlets quite unfamiliar to me, at the departure area.


A really unique motif for a store, at the departure area.

SIX
On my 1996 trip, when I was touring the grand Cairo market, I heard shouting akin to the Native American yell. I asked what it was all about and I was told it meant that a wedding was taking place.

I heard the yell again during this recent trip. My colleagues and I were having dinner (it was past 9 pm already) at one of the hotel's restos (the one nearest the lobby). Suddenly, loud band music (with flute music predominant) reverberated through the lobby and into the restaurant. A crowd had also materialized near the lobby atrium. And really bright and harsh light illuminated the crowd, meaning a video was being taken of whatever was happening at the lobby. Curious, I left the dining table and went to the lobby and saw this couple go down the circular staircase from the balcony overlooking the atrium. At the foot of the stairs and around the atrium, the couple's friends and presumably, families, were clapping and dancing to the band's music. Some women and even some men, were dancing (more like belly dancing ala- Shakira) around the couple, who by then had stopped at the foot of the staircase. In between the clapping and the dancing was the yelling.

After about fifteen minutes, the wedding party went around the atrium like it was on parade and out of the hotel lobby to the banqueting hall.

And all was quiet again at the lobby front.

TRIVIA: On my 1996 trip, as I returned to Riyadh from Cairo, one of my co-passengers dressed in full wedding regalia, sat with us on the plane. I was told later that indeed, Egyptian brides do that when they join their husbands (either Saudi men or other Arab men) in Saudi.