Monday, August 06, 2007

I AM THIRD

At the right time (I would like to think actually, in God's time), I would like to establish a group (or a foundation if you will), that I will call, I Am Third.

I came across this phrase from one of my readings in the past, I think Reader's Digest, which indicated that I Am Third is already a movement somewhere in the USA. It further read that the First is God; the second is Country and the I/the self, am third.

If I can call the group/foundation that, then the name would sound good.

But more than sounding good, I hope for the group/foundation to focus on helping families left behind by Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), if not some of the OFWs themselves, specially those who get involved in situations that do not make their lives any easier.

I realize that there are already many a non-government organization (NGO) doing the same things but I don't think another one will hurt at all, specially if it does not get involved in advocacy activities that tend to look political. These groups, for sure, have their good and even noble reasons for adding a political hue to their advocacy work. The media mileage alone that they generate helps these groups to elevate their profiles, which in turn, come in handy when trying to attract the attention of the government and the general public to certain concerns such as the call for more assistance to OFWs imprisoned in foreign jails, or for clemency for those in death row.

But I Am Third will hopefully be a silent worker or partner of these families and workers in every way possible.