Tuesday, August 01, 2006

LIFE LESSONS 3

Even as a small kid, I was already gala. Peripatetic. Lakwatsero. And this public school I went to in grade school was infront of a private college. I walk to school lang kaya sometimes I would enter the private college compound and wander around. One day, it happened that a Foundation Day of some sort seemed to be going on. There were a lot of tao at the school's quadrangle. Banderitas too. Very festive. Mini me got very curious. So strolled inside I did and ogled at so many goings on. One of them was happening inside a classroom. Looked like a science exhibit. I tried looking into the classroom from outside, through the glass jalousy of the windows. Somehow, I tripped over the low flower box under the window and smashed my hand on one of the glass jalousy slots. It made a crashing sound as it broke. It was the sound heard around the room, followed by the inevitable questions of "Who did that?", "What was that?", etc.

Little me was kind of scared but I think now, also kinda brave as well for I recall marching into the room to say "I did it!" I also heard someone say, "Ay how honest."

At this juncture, I am no longer sure of what happened next, except that I seemed to have gotten away with it. No scratch, no detention, no ponying up for the broken glass.

But there was a huge life lesson for me. It looks like my honesty paid off. Here I was, a cute little kid and honest to boot. Whose adult heart would not melt?

The life lesson stayed with me big time. It pays to be honest even if sometimes, your honesty, and indeed, your desire to tell the truth, to be on the side of what is right, may only bring you trouble. It always remains an admirable trait or virtue to be able to stand by, own up and live up to what you have done or you have said. Specially if you knowingly did or said it.


That is why, I don't believe even myself when I say by way of a caveat, not to tell anyone I told you this or that. Because I know that at one time or another, and sooner or later, whatever it was that I might have said that was supposed to have been said in strict confidentiality, will come out. When it does, I will stand by, own up and live up to it if I have to. Specially if it means taking back the hurt or alleviating the pain caused by what I may have said or done. And most specially, if it means showing someone some support.