Tuesday, August 08, 2006

BYE TO THE GOOD LIFE

I had my blood tested a few days back. The results came in yesterday. They're not-so-good. Even if my glucose, cholesterol, HDL, uric acid and LDL levels are within the normal range, the glucose and LDL counts are borderline. And my triglycerides are more than double the high end of the nomal range! This means I am at risk for heart disease -- atherosclerosis, high blood pressure and stroke. If pancreatitis won't do me in.

A prompt surf of the net and discussion with the clinic doctor and nurse tell me the best thing to do at this time is to change my diet to a low-fat/low-cholesterol one. Or I could start being on medication. Lipitor comes to mind. As for the new diet, it's going to take getting used to differentiating which food is a rich source of fat and cholesterol or not. It's going to take a more disciplined approach to minding how much food I eat. In addition, I must couple these efforts with exercise.

It means saying goodbye to the good life - a life I associate with being able to eat to your heart's content, the desires of your tummy and your taste buds.

Of course it was depressing to hear the not-so-good news! But I had to console myself with the fact that thank goodness, I at least somehow already enjoyed many years of indulging myself in the sinful and calorific goodies my budget has allowed me. I would thank God everytime I say grace that I at least am able to savor and afford such gastronomic delights.

But with my current glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride levels, it's time for change.

It's time to go on that oft-postponed trek to the gym. After all, I had been longing for a fit and toned anatomy since a looooong time ago. Maybe, the health scare may not be so bad after all. I could take this as an opportunity to begin to make myself over.

Goodbye to the good life? You betcha. It's hello to a better, healthier one.