Sunday, November 05, 2006

PAP23A [Diriyah Revisited]

Detail of wall construction.

Another view of the ruins.

A Saudi man among the ruins;
there were actually many local visitors
(including Saudi amateur photographers) at the time of our visit.

Detail of door although the door is obviously a reproduction.

The ruins as seen near the entrance.

I can count the number of times I visited Diriyah, where historians say the first Riyadh was. I know how popular the place is. It is one of the best showcases for tourists and expatriates alike, who wish to have a glimpse of history. It is also a favorite subject for photographers. In my most recent visit (after five or so years?), I am pleased to note the positive changes to the historic site, including the very obvious restoration efforts on-going.